Translate

Friday, September 30, 2016

The Power of Words

The concept of words and how you use them is very powerful in today’s society. Developing your vocabulary over time can open the mind to new words you’ve never used before and the way you use them can form your unique language.

Knowing that, the highlight for me on the last day of the writer’s festival was the Wordburger and Life of My Mind sessions. Attending the Wordburger session with David Astle introduced the power of words in the most entertaining way I could think of. The way he talked about how words can create more words was truly brilliant. A benefit he mentioned for word play was that it keeps the community connected. One thing I got away from attending this session was that everybody should go out there and learn as many words as they can. Enhancing one’s vocabulary in this way will develop our reading, writing and the way we speak. I for one can see it does and will continue to read books so my vocabulary bank can increase to higher lengths.

The second session of the day I was absolutely captivated by the language used was from Barry Jones in Life of My Mind. He didn’t necessarily talk about words in such detail as David Astle but he did speak in his words in a very engaging way. It was funny because I never intended in going to this session but due to a last minute change of speakers, there he was. His stories about how music, literature and theater inspired him throughout his life was inspirational. Every few moments he would say something and the audience would laugh. Even though I didn’t know who he was, I felt like I did know him by the end of the session. It wasn’t just his words which were so powerful, it was also the way he projected himself to the audience in a confident and friendly demeanor. It was enough to keep me in my seat that’s for sure. I can’t wait to find stories of my own that I can share like Barry, to an audience or anyone I may meet in the future.

After another long day, I headed back to my accommodation absolutely exhausted from all of the inspiring sessions I went to. It was time to enjoy my last night, having dinner out with a fellow Writers in Action student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment